I’ve written here before about the huge problems with the Myers Briggs personality test.
Vox have just published this article taking apart the test and showing how pointless is actually is.
Why the Myers-Briggs test is totally meaningless – Vox.
Death to bullshit science.
I talk to Nathalie Nahai, the Web Psychologist on her podcast.
We talk about
- The best way to research customers in a different culture or country
- The role of UX in designing persuasive websites… and why I hate the term ‘persuasion’
- Joe’s four rules for an ethical code of conduct:
- Don’t lie
- Don’t cheat
- Don’t trick
- Don’t encourage someone to do something they wouldn’t otherwise do
- The difference between social psychology and cognitive psychology
- Why psychology is a powerful tool for advocacy in design
- How appearing cheap is generating sales for Money Saving Expert
- Why conveying emotion through photography and content is so persuasive
- The single most effective, easy way to boost your sales on your website!
- How security and privacy seals can ruin your sales
Listen to the podcast
A few short weeks ago I ran a day’s workshop on Psychology for Designers at the wonderful Smashing Conference in Oxford. I spoke about how psychology can make your designs better and you a better designer.
Psychology for Designers Workshop Slides and Notes PDF, 30Mb.
Links to all the theories, ideas and things we talked about. To search for specific stuff use the tag uxcogpsy + the keyword you are looking for.
And of course my book, only £2.75/$5.
A great read on the track record and future of behavioural economics. (buy my book to learn about the different types of psychology)
What next for behavioural economics?
Really clever little study showing how anchoring works, useful for pricing on eCommerce sites.
Anchoring or How many police officers are in France?
Tuesday 8th April. 5pm
Sadly my publisher Five Simple Steps has closed it’s doors. But don’t worry you can still buy the book.
Buy Psychology For Designers for £2.75
Great insightful article. If you read my book I tell you how to read a scientific paper so this stuff is less likely to happen to you…
Why so much “science” used in design is bullshit